Sunday, March 27, 2011

Days 1 and 2, Driving to Moriarity and Sandia Crest

We started the day at 5 am by picking up Bryan and Stephanie in Tomball. There trip was pretty uneventful except when I left Bryan and Stephanie at the gas station near Waco. I took off and Bill asked me where I was going. I told him to the highway. He said "without the kids?". And I looked in the back seat and they were not there. When I turned around there was Stephanie with her snacks staring at us. Oops. . After the long drive, we got to NM and the Bucces of NM. Russell's Travel Center was awesome. . We get to Moriarty where we were staying and get checked into our motel. We asked where to eat since the choices seemed to be Blake's Lotaburger, subway, McDonald's and Arbys. The lady that owned the motel told us to go to Buford Steakhouse. Don't let the name fool you. We had the best NM cheese enchiladas. Except for Byran that doesn't do cheese. Enchiladas just like my mom would make! YUM! The main reason for the trip was to see the Black Rosy Finch that had been a nemisis for Bill and Bryan. I had been with them when we looked in Montana for them. On top of Sandia Crest is the Sandia House. . This is the only way to see birds. It was very cold and very windy. There are feeders at the gift shop and cafe. You can either sit on the deck or sit inside with tea, hot chocolate, coffee and watch the birds. Wow! Did we see them. We saw all three rosy finches, black, gray crowned and brown capped. My photography skills are still lacking, but check Bryan's pbase site for good pictures. Here is the black rosy finch, aka the the star of the show. . View from the top . . Another view from the top. . . I loved the rocks! . . Stephanie was loving the snow! . . A view from part way down. . . Bill and Bryan looking for raptors. . . Bill and Stephnie checking the ravine. . . Gray crowned rosy finch. .


We went down the mountain for pizza at one point and ate at the Sandia Crust! The pizza was outstanding!

No comments: